Image source: Sally from Flickr
"That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding..." (Colossians 2:2-3)
Have you been in the ward for a long time, but don't really know anyone? Do you know lots of people, but feel that no one really knows who YOU are? Does it ever seem that you just don't fit, no matter how hard you try? Do you ever feel insignificant, unappreciated, or misunderstood by your family, your friends, your neighbors, or your co-workers?
In this month's Relief Society Activity, we will:
* Learn more about the important role that connection plays, both in our personal happiness and in building Zion
* Discover why some people don't "see" us or misunderstand us, while others drive us totally crazy (and what we can do about it)
* Explore practical techniques for drawing on our strengths and reframing our weaknesses to strengthen our relationships with family members and others
* Consider ways to serve one another more meaningfully
* Discover how we can bless those around us simply by being ourselves as we get to know one another better
Join us in the Young Women's Room! A nursery will be provided.
Getting to Know You Games
I Have Never
When the Wind Blows
MusicSongs that focus on embracing your unique gifts, loving others, and trusting the Lord
Come As You Are - Pocket Full of Rocks
The Face of Christ - Chris Rice
Find Your Voice - Sarah McLachlan
Firework - Katy Perry
For Good - Wicked
Free to Be Me - Francesca Battistelli
Give Me Your Eyes - Brandon Heath
Hero - Mariah Carey
Hold On - Wilson Phillips
I Am a Child of God - LDS Children's Songbook
I Walk By Faith - Janice Kapp Perry
I'll Walk With You - LDS Children's Songbook
I'm Letting Go - Francesca Battistelli
I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus - LDS Children's Songbook
Jesus Said Love Everyone - LDS Children's Songbook
Kindness Begins with Me - LDS Children's Songbook
Little Purple Pansies - LDS Children's Songbook
Love One Another - LDS Children's Songbook
Oceans - Hillsong United
Overcomer - Mandisa
Stand - Rascal Flatts
Stronger - Kelly Clarkson
True Colors - Cyndi Lauper
Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
What Faith Can Do - Kutless
Where Love Is - LDS Children's Songbook
You Are Loved (Don't Give Up) - Josh Groban
QuiltsChelsie Hicken and her mom taught us how to tie two baby quilts which will be donated to Primary Children's Hospital.
Chocolate Chip Cookies (by ?)
Cupcakes (by Sarah Croker, Emily Fackerell, & Heather Smith)
Paradise Punch (by Julie Jacobs)
Mix in punch bowl:
1, 3 liter bottle lemon lime soda
1, 16-oz. pkg. frozen strawberries
1 can frozen Hawaiian's Own Paradise Punch
Strawberry Pie with a Cracker Crust (by Amanda Howells)
Veggie Bars (by Shannon Bowles)
2 tubes crescent rolls (Or dough sheets. They make it one solid sheet now so you don’t have to smash the seams together.)
3/4 c. mayo
1/2 c. sour cream
16 oz. whipped cream cheese
1 pkg. ranch mix
3/4 c. diced green, red, or yellow pepper (I use red to make it prettier)
3/4 c. finely chopped broccoli
3/4 c. finely chopped cauliflower (I don’t use it because Ian doesn’t like it, so I do a little extra broccoli)
3/4 c. chopped green onion
3/4 c. chopped carrots
Spread and press crescent roll dough into a greased cookie sheet. Pinch seams together if needed. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until light golden. Combine mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, and ranch mix in a bowl. Once crust is baked and cooled spread ranch mixture evenly on top. Mix up chopped veggies in a large bowl then spread over the top of ranch mixture. Gently pat veggies into the mixture. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve. Cut into squares to serve.
Vegetable Roll-ups (by ?)
Colossians 2:2-3: - "2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."
Moses 7:18 - "And the Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them."
1 Samuel 16:7 - "But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: forthe Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outwardappearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."
3 Nephi 14:2 & Matthew 7:2 - "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged; and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."
D&C 38:27 - "Behold, this I have given unto you as a parable, and it is even as I am. I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine."
Luke 6:38 - "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."
Mark 4:24 - "And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given."
Spiritual ThoughtShared by Laurel Piccolo -
2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
- We must help build Zion so that the Savior can return.
- In order to accomplish this, we must be unified (Moses 7:18)
- As we become unified, there will be "no poor among [us]" (Moses 7:18)
- If we hope to eradicate emotional, mental, physical, social, and spiritual poverty, we must learn to let our unique light shine and use our spiritual gifts and talents to serve one another.
- Sometimes we become discouraged and focus on our weaknesses, and sometimes we misinterpret others--both situations which make it difficult for us to be ourselves and to love generously.
- As we come to understand ourselves and others better, it will be easier for us to give others the benefit of the doubt, to forgive, to love, and to serve.
- A list of the various activities we did during tonight's Relief Society Activity
- This version of the quiz is more randomized, so scoring it requires more concentration, but inaccurate results based on "guessing the pattern" are less likely
- This version of the test consists of 4 colored boxes with descriptions. Children read all 4 and decide which is most like them. The down side is that children may end up choosing a box because they like its color rather than because they feel the description in it represents them well.
- Page 3 contains brief descriptions of how each color is likely to interact at home, at school, and with friends
- Pages 3-6 compare how each color sees itself to how others may see each color. Very useful for thinking about why people might sometimes misunderstand you, as well as how you might accidentally misunderstand others. (See also Page 2 of this handout: )
- Page 1 contains a list of typical behaviors each color exhibits when having a bad day.
- EXCELLENT charts that indicate how to relate to, motivate, appreciate each color; reframing lists; symptoms of a bad day; and team member role cards
- Very well-designed handouts that highlight what each of the 4 colors brings to a collaborative situation, along with questions each color is likely to ask about the task at hand
- Pages 18-21 of this very professional PowerPoint presentation that provides useful strategies for working effectively with each color
FHE Activities for Children
- This PDF document contains wordsearches for all 4 colors
Just For Fun True Colors Quizzes
- Understanding your interviewer can help you know which strategies will help you communicate best
- Are you a diet feeler, planner, thinker, or player? This brief quiz may give you some insight into your eating habits. (Warning - this links to a commercial site)
- Read 4 different comic strips and decide which situation best depicts you, then read a brief description of how your dominant colors may be affecting your shopping habits. (Warning - this links to a commercial site)
- Can you identify which color is most likely to own each of these bumper stickers?
Additional True Colors Resources
- Greens will particularly appreciate this PowerPoint presentation, which provides statistics regarding the percentages of males v. females that exhibit various color combinations, statistics regarding the percentage of each color that tends to be involved in different aspects of business, and which identifies correlations between True Colors and the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator.
- Golds will find this PowerPoint presentation useful. It provides detailed, step-by-step instructions for the quiz, along with a more comprehensive approach to explaining it